Friday, June 8, 2007

Breastfeeding Advocacy Through a Romance Novel

Does that sound strange?

Well, it's actually what the Philippine Department of Health, World Health Organization and UNFPA asked me to do. The result is "Bukal Sa Dibdib" (Heart Spring) which is now being prepared for publication.

The romance novel is faithful to the genre. It reads just like a "normal" romance novel written in Filipino.

What sets it apart is its having the issue of breastfeeding - its importance in the physical and emotional wellbeing of an infant and the family - at the core of the story.

The connection need not be a stretch. After all, where else is genuine romance headed but toward the creation of a loving family? And when a couple becomes a family with the birth of a child, breastfeeding is a natural and beautiful development.

I am very excited with this new project, once again using the romance novel as a medium for advocacy.

Bukal Sa Dibdib will be printed in paperback format and distributed for free among women in urban poor communities.

I hope it will bring my readers hours of enjoyment, as well as encourage them to appreciate the beauty and benefits of infant breastfeeding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Ms. MJ!!!

I read the romance novel about breast feeding. You never ceased to impressed me like always.

Mayang's character, she's no typical stereo typical girl portrays in most of the books... She's courageous, admirable and she knows when to fight back.

Mother's don't practice breast feeding anymore, since this is a busy world already.

This is a very good campaign for it. It's very inspirational.

Actually, I got starstruck here... you've been my favorite since high school...

M said...

Thank you so much, Catey! I'm glad I didn't disappoint you. Wow, since high school? I hope readers like you continue to enjoy my work even in the future :D

MAIA JOSE Filipino Romance eBooks to buy online:
Powered by WebRing.