Tuesday, June 19, 2007

The Glam Side of Being A Romance Author

This photo is on the back cover of many of my books. I love it! It's my only chance at being so glam. Imagine wearing a feather boa? It felt so 40s Hollywood! Such camp! It reminded me of one of my favorite movies, "To Wong Foo, With Love," where Patrick Swayze and Wesley Snipes were oh so glamorous in drag, haha!

I can still remember how I and my family laughed ourselves silly during the photo shoot. My son asked: "How many feather dusters did they take apart to make that thing?"

It was fun to play the part of the glamorous romance writer.

Every year on February 14, our publisher would take its top authors on an autograph signing tour around various National Book Store branches. We would be dressed to the nines, of course, ready for picture-taking with our readers. Little did my readers know that I probably was much more thrilled than they were over the entire hullaballoo.

We were brought to Singapore on a book-signing tour in 1993. We felt like superstars as fans lined up for our autograph at the mall.

It was heady to be in the limelight. I felt like a character in my novels.

That wasn't the core of being a writer, though. Those were the highlights, but many, many more days and nights were unglamorously spent before the pc, writing in my old silk robe, sans make-up.

I do miss the glamor still :D

4 comments:

THE ANiTOKiD said...

Now I know where The CityLifeStylist got her inspiration! You definitely have class dManilaMom!

M said...

Haha! I always thought that photo was over the top, but still loved it. I wouldn't have had any other excuse to be photographed like that unless in my romance writer mode. It was fun but I don't think I can do that again :D

mae said...

Hi ma'am maia.I would like to ask iof there are still available copy of your "abakada ng pag-ibig"? I would like to have all of it sana. thanks.

M said...

Thank you so much, Mae. Sad to say, those books are no longer available. They're all out of print already. Perhaps you could try the second hand bookstores. Good luck!

MAIA JOSE Filipino Romance eBooks to buy online:
Powered by WebRing.